- 5 bacon slices, finely chopped
- 2 boiling potatoes (3/4 lb total), cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots (2 large)
- 3/4 cup bottled clam juice
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 lb shrimp, shelled, deveined, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb sea scallops, quartered and tough muscle removed from side of each if necessary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lb shelled cooked lobster meat, cut into 1/2-inch-thick pieces, or 1/2 lb lump crabmeat, picked over
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Cook bacon in a 5-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot and stir in potatoes, shallots, and clam juice. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender and most of liquid is evaporated, about 8 minutes. Stir in milk and cayenne and return just to a simmer.
Add shrimp, scallops, and salt and simmer, stirring occasionally, until shellfish is just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in lobster and half of herbs and simmer 1 minute. Serve chowder topped with bacon and remaining herbs.
This recipe has been obtained from: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes